How do webinars work?
A webinar is similar to a live workshop or seminar you’d attend at a genealogy society meeting or conference, only it takes place over the Internet. That means you can “attend” the workshop from the comfort of home. All you need a computer and a broadband internet connection—no special computer skills required.
You just log in at the special URL provided when you register, then listen and follow along as the presenter shares helpful tips and advice on the workshop topic. As you listen, you can pose questions for the presenter to answer during the Q&A segment of the workshop. A “host” will also be available to help if you encounter any technical issues.
Each workshop lasts an hour. Don’t worry about taking notes—you’ll get to download a PDF of the slides once the workshop concludes, plus any handouts the presenter provides. You also can access an “archive” version of the entire workshop online in case you want to listen again. (This is also a good way to attend the webinar if you can’t make it to the live event.)
How do I participate?
Here’s a step-by-step overview of the process:
- Use the drop down menu above to decide which webinar you’d like to register for. Click the “Register Now” link (this will take you to our online store, ShopFamilyTree.com) where you will purchase your registration for the desired session.
- After purchase, you will receive a link to the webinar registration page. Follow that link to complete your registration for the session on GoToWebinar, the system that hosts our webinars. Fill in all required fields.
- Upon registering at GoToWebinar, you’ll receive a confirmation email. This email contains all the details you need to log in to the webinar, including an access link you’ll use to log on the day of the webinar. You’ll also receive a “reminder” e-mail with the log on details if you register several days in advance. This e-mail includes an e-mail address to contact an administrator with any technical issues.
- Five to 10 minutes before the webinar is scheduled to start, log in using the access information provided in your confirmation email. (Mac users, we recommend using your Safari browser). Your browser will launch a new window where the workshop will take place. You’ll see the presentation slides in the middle.
- Participants’ audio is muted (to ensure that background noise doesn’t spoil anyone’s experience), but there’s a chat window in the lower right corner of your window where you can ask questions and communicate with the host in case you have a problem.
- When the webinar concludes, simply close the GoToWebinar window.
What if I have a technical problems getting into the webinar?
We have technical support on hand to help you. Nearly 100% of our attendees don’t have any trouble after we assist them. You can sign on at least 10 minutes before the session is scheduled to begin, giving you time to ask questions if you have any trouble.
What happens if I miss something during the webinar?
After the webinar ends, you will receive access to the webinar recording to view again as many times as you like. You may also receive copies of any documents that were shared during the presentation.
If you still have questions about Family Tree University webinars, please contact us.