There are fifty nifty United States from which we can trace our heritage, but of those, only Thirteen Original Colonies pre-date American Independence. If your ancestors jumped ship for the New World, this crash course in Colonial American genealogy may be just the ticket.This one-week course is designed to help you quickly jump-start your work on the class topic. The course materials take about two hours to complete. This course is self-led and does not contain any graded exercises, but an instructor is available to answer any questions you have via the Discussion Board. In the time it takes to watch a movie, you’ll give your research skills a huge boost, and come away with new tools and techniques that you can use immediately.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to understand colonial borders, using maps to trace migration paths
- How to use statewide and regional compilations for colonial research
- How to use genealogical periodicals to look for record extracts and research updates
- How to use Google Books and the Internet Archive to find free published materials
- How to find your colonial ancestors in church records, court records, passenger lists, probate records, land records and military records
WHAT YOU’LL RECEIVE
- A 60-minute video on Top 25 Tips for Finding Your Colonial Ancestors. Learn essential strategies for tracking your family tree in the years before US independence.
- A 30-minute video on Researching Revolutionary War Ancestors. Learn how to explore compiled materials on the Revolutionary War, from service and pension records to the Daughters of the American Revolution.
- A 30-minute video on Massachusetts Genealogy Crash Course. Learn how to explore vital records and immigration in New England, as well as the best websites for Massachusetts research.
- A PDF article on Colonial Genealogy Guide. Learn to liberate your Colonial-era lineage with our primer on pre-Independence records and resources.
- A 25% off coupon for Family Tree University’s English Genealogy 101 course (a $50 value)
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE:
- Genealogists with immigrant ancestors
- Anyone with two hours to spare who wants to learn skills they can apply immediately
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- This course assumes you understand the basics principles of genealogy. The first course in the First Steps series, Discover Your Family Tree, is a helpful foundation if you’ve never done genealogical research before.