Whether it was your ancestor’s Promised Land or passing pit stop, Missouri is central source of genealogy information, both literally and figuratively. Just as this Midwestern state was the starting point for both the Pony Express and the Oregon Trail, the Missouri Genealogy Crash Course is the perfect place to start digging into family history. Soon the Show Me State will be showing you how to find your family.
- Dennis Northcott, associate archivist for reference at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis
- Angela McComas, researcher at the Mid-Continent Public Library in Independence, Mo.
What you’ll learn:
- Essential Missouri history, from the Louisiana Purchase to Bleeding Kansas
- Missouri immigration and ethnicity-based records on groups such as Native Americans, German, Irish and English
- Major sources for vital records, such as the Missouri Digital Heritage Collection
- Key websites for finding your ancestors in St. Louis