Hungarian Genealogy 101
Confusing geography, unfamiliar languages, and surname and place name changes are just a few of the challenges associated with genealogical research in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. If you’re among the 1.4 million Americans with Hungarian roots, we’ll help you trace your Magyar ancestors by helping you sort out issues with names and places, explaining history and directing you to the most useful records on both sides of the pond. Genealogists with ancestry in areas formerly ruled by Hungary—such as Croatia, Slovakia and Romania—also will learn about history, records and resources that will likely factor into their research.
- A history of Hungarian immigration—and what it means for your research
- What records to search for in North America and in Hungary
- How to locate and research records in Hungary
- Tips and resources for identifying your Hungarian ancestors’ birthplace or town of origin
- Strategies for overcoming research obstacles